The Library was created together with the Institute in 1944. Initially, its funds were made up of books and magazines donated by the first members of the Institute and foreign researchers. The collection received a substantial boost when the “ Committee on Houssay Journal Fund,” an initiative promoted by doctors CJ Wiggers, WB Cannon, JF Fulton, and HM Evans, motivated by a letter requesting help from Dr. Chistiane Dosne Pascqualini, Dr. Houssay’s fellow.
Bernardo Houssay considered the library one of the fundamental cornerstones in developing research; his constant concern is to keep it modern and up-to-date. The different initiatives implemented achieved that due to the richness of its bibliographic collections: it is worth pointing out that it has been considered a reference center at the national level.
The arrival of the Internet and electronic publications generated a change in the conception of library services, thus incorporating the subscription of online magazines such as the Mincyt Electronic Library, among others.
In 2012, a new library building was inaugurated in IBYME. Thanks to the generosity of its donors, information services and technological infrastructure have been updated. In 2013, entry by electronic card was adopted, allowing researchers and fellows access without time restrictions.
Since 2015, we have supported open access trends in the Federal Library Network, which feeds the CONICET Digital Institutional Repository, registering, curating, publishing, and making available to society the written intellectual production of IBYME’s researchers.
In 2019, we began to retrieve material for the historical archive and integrate it into the National Historical Documentation System.
Although the pandemic that began in 2020 hindered in-person services, remote attention continued from the library, and progress was made in the “Notables de la Ciencia” inter-institutional project, centered on the figure of Bernardo A. Houssay, founder of IBYME, in whose tribute our library bears his name.